Wrinkles and maturing skin? A testament to our growing wisdom and experience. While it is your choice to embrace the changes or stave them off just a little bit, we can certainly make some small changes in our lifestyles to improve our skin!
Aging of the skin is a natural process by which the collagen and elastin, that keep our skin looking firm and youthful, begin to decline, this results in wrinkles. Cell production and cell quality also diminish over time resulting in wrinkles. These factors unfortunately are out of our control, though diet and supplements can slow down the process, it won’t stop it.
The influences that are within our control are largely environmental such as pollution (eg; smoking) and sun damage. Here are 15 easy ways to reduce wrinkles and slow down the aging process.
- Stop smoking (It’s #1 for a reason)
- Always wear sunscreen whether it’s cloudy or sunny and don’t sunbake. Still want a golden glow? One of my favourite products is Face Tan Water by EcoTan
- Hydrate your skin by drinking about 8 glasses of water a day. I drink a small nations share of coffee each day so try to up my water intake by an equivalent amount! Somedays it's a lot!
- Use skincare products that contain antioxidants and AHA's.
- Moisturize the skin on your face twice daily. Yep easy right? I have dry skin so like to go all out for my night time routine. My anti-line go to right now? I am loving Vegan Healing Balm by Orenda Skin Australia.
- Reduce stress. (Try reading, exercising, meditating) 15 minutes a day is a good start.
- Reduce alcohol consumption. Overindulging can put enormous strain on your system and will accelerate wrinkles forming. I know! I know! Don't come at me! Just reduce if it has crept up there right? I really enjoy herbal teas and swap one out for my nightly wine every now and again. I am loving the sassy feel of the tea line by Sunday Lab right now!
- Eat healthily by incorporating plenty of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Sleep at least 8 hours every night.
- Check with your doctor about taking supplements, your diet may be lacking some of the important ones. It is always good to keep an eye on your health and identify areas where your diet may be lacking.
- Use an eye cream for the delicate skin around the eyes nightly. I have just discovered a gorgeous eye serum from Briese Botanicals. Sneaky Tip... A bottle of this power agent is included in our February Change Box and valued at $44 this provides great value for our subscriber community.
- Facial scrubs remove the build-up of dead cells that can increase the appearance of wrinkles, try this weekly.
- Use natural skincare products that will nourish your skin and give it lots of vitamins and minerals to help it stay fresh and healthy.
- Start a good skincare routine in your 20’s. Prevention is easier than a cure.
- Natural oils really pack a punch when it comes to skin health! Aloe Vera and Avocado oil both have the ability to prevent the skin from drying out; they are both used to improve the skin’s elasticity. Jojoba oil resembles the skin’s natural oils. Dab this around the eyes to keep wrinkles at bay.